The increase in chronic diseases has heightened the need for supervised exercise programming for clients after their discharge from rehabilitation services or hospital. The Medical Exercise Specialist (MES) is uniquely trained to provide post rehab and medical exercise services to a wide range of clients with medical needs.
There are a number of reasons to utilize the MES when planning the discharge of clients in need of supervised exercise programming. The fact is that Client’s returning home from hospital after post-hip or knee surgery may be in a weakened state requiring not only exercise therapy but post-surgical care whether temporarily or ongoing.
With exactly this combination of MES and Caregiving which included home supports, one of the Clients raved about her experience. She had just returned home after a knee replacement and sent this remark: “ Had I not had the help of Sonja daily, supervising my exercises, timing me, assisting with bathing, home support and groceries, I would not have been camping two months later. The fact that Sonja could do all those things in a two hour window daily, meant so much more to me than just requiring the home support on its own. Thanks to Sonja, I am encouraged as I await my next knee replacement”
Here are 5 good reasons to implement exercise for the senior returning from surgery:
- The MES is trained to develop conditioning programs for a wide range of Clients with musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, metabolic and neurological disorders
- The MES is trained to identify “red flags” which indicate the Client is inappropriate for exercise and/or requires a referral to a medical professional.
- The MES understands how to screen the Client to identify any potential problem areas that may be exacerbated by exercise.
- Utilizing a MES after discharge will improve the Client’s functional capacity and minimize the possibility of re-injury.
- The MES not only develops the Client’s conditioning program but is also able to establish a wellness program that will enhance the Client’s overall level of health and well being.
Medical Exercise when combined with Caregiving can ensure the Client recovers quickly, safely and return to their daily activities sooner.